For truckers and commercial vehicle operators, their commercial driver’s license (CDL) is a critical asset. Your license is the linchpin that enables them to carry out their job responsibilities legally. Nevertheless, circumstances can arise that jeopardize the status of your license. If that happens, the effects can extend to one’s employment and financial stability. In these moments of uncertainty, the services of an experienced CDL attorney become absolutely necessary.
At The Shelton Firm, we understand why a compromised CDL license can ruin your life. Whether contending with a DUI charge or another traffic citation, our job is to provide great legal representation and keep you on the road. Our proficient legal team doesn’t solely mount a robust defense against traffic charges but also extends adept representation during administrative hearings for CDL suspensions.
Understanding Grounds for Suspension
Suspension or disqualification of a CDL can be triggered by a range of violations, including:
- Refusal to undergo blood alcohol concentration (BAC) tests
- Reckless driving or excessive speeding
- Committing serious traffic offenses (As defined by Penndot)
- Committing Major Traffic offenses (As defined by Penndot)
- Violating out-of-service orders
Penalties and Disqualifications
The regulatory framework governing CDL privileges in Pennsylvania is complicated. Disqualifications vary in duration based on the nature of the offense:
- First-time major offense violations, such as DUI or felony vehicle use, result in a one-year disqualification
- Subsequent major offense violations result in a lifetime suspension
- A first hazardous materials offense leads to a three-year disqualification
- Multiple serious traffic violations can lead to up to a 120-day suspension
- Railroad-highway grade crossing violations can also lead to up to a 120-day suspension
Impact of Suspension
CDL suspension doesn’t merely impact your job; it directly affects your financial stability and prospects. The consequences are far-reaching:
- Loss of employment
- Ineligibility for unemployment compensation
- Escalated insurance premiums
- Substantial fines
- Financial and personal strain
If you’re grappling with a DUI charge and are concerned about retaining your CDL, there’s hope. Despite the challenges, our legal team can guide you through the process, potentially leading to reinstatement of your license after meeting prerequisites and the stipulated waiting period.
Given the weight of these repercussions, the imperative to secure the services of a seasoned CDL license defense attorney cannot be overstated. Call The Shelton Firm today for a free consultation and review your options with an experienced CDL Attorney.
Facing CDL suspension can be overwhelming, but you’re not alone. The experienced legal team at The Shelton Firm is committed to building a strong defense for you. We strive for reduced consequences and securing your professional future. Schedule a consultation at (717) 823-0899.