Need an Auto Accident Attorney in Lancaster, PA?
At The Shelton Firm, we understand that car crash victims are concerned about their medical bills, and injuries. Unfortunately, insurance companies are not your friend and often make arguments to reduce or deny coverage during the claims process when you need them most. This means that many times you will need to do more than making an insurance claim to get the compensation you deserve. An Auto Accident Attorney in Lancaster, PA from The Shelton Firm can help you deal with the insurance companies and get you the settlement you need to recover from your injuries
Even a minor car accident can leave you injured and struggling with sudden physical pain. This does not even include the financial challenges from huge medical bills.
Unfortunately, many insurance providers rarely offer a fair cash settlement that covers ALL of your pain and suffering. Please call today at 717-823-0899 to schedule a free consultation.
What to do after an accident or an injury?
1) Call local police or an ambulance especially if the accident is blocking traffic or someone was hurt
2) Exchange information with the other party, including insurance information, contact details, auto insurance information
3) Take photographs of your injury, the area the accident occurred, and the damage to your vehicle or property.
4) Call The Shelton Firm today to pursue your rights and let an experienced auto accident attorney fight for justice.
Were You Hit by a Drunk Driver?
There were over 45,000 DUI arrests in 2017 according to an American Addiction Centers study. A drunk driver can be sued in civil court while at the same time prosecuted in criminal courts. Pennsylvania Courts have held that, in certain circumstances, the act of driving while intoxicated may allow the recovery of Punitive Damages even in the absence of showing evil motive or malice.
Make sure that if you have any questions about a drivers level of intoxication you call police to report the accident.
Once Police arrive make sure you give them a detailed explanation of your pain and where you were hurt.
Auto Accidents with No Insurance
In Pennsylvania, a driver is only required to carry $15,000 of coverage by law. This amount is nowhere near what is required to cover an injured person after an accident.
You can purchase Underinsured motorist coverage or Uninsured motorist coverage which would apply to a car crash where the at-fault driver didn’t have enough insurance coverage to compensate you.
Your own UIM or UM coverage provides protection if you or your passengers suffer bodily injury in a collision with an at-fault, under insured or uninsured driver.
Additional Car Accident Lawyer Info
What To Do After A Car Accident?
Although most motorists who get into car crashes cannot think straight at the scene of a car crash, there are certain things you should do in order to strengthen your personal injury case. If you fail to do any of these things, you risk getting your personal injury claim denied, which is why our experienced car accident lawyer in Lancaster County that recommends you:
- Call the police and make sure a Police report is created
- Go to a doctor. This is helpful even if you do not think that your injury is bad enough.
- Collect evidence and relevant information at the scene such as the other party’s name, address, phone number, insurance information, and the names and contact information of any witnesses who saw what happened.
- Take pictures of the crash, especially the vehicle damage, skid marks, and road conditions.
- Everything you say can be used against you. Be careful not to accidentally admit fault.
- Call a personal injury attorney to discuss your legal options.
Is Pennsylvania a No-Fault Accident State?
In Pennsylvania, there is a No-Fault System for car accidents. What does that mean? It means that regardless of who is at fault for the crash, everyone involved will have their medical expenses paid for by their own car insurance company.
However, this does not mean that you cannot sue the other driver if they were at fault for the accident. If you have been in a car accident, it is crucial that you speak with an experienced car accident lawyer to make sure you are getting the total compensation you deserve. An experienced auto accident attorney will know how to navigate the complex legal system and get you the money you need to cover your medical bills and other expenses.
Common Causes Of Auto Accidents
Here are some of the main causes of car accidents. If you suspect your accident was caused by one of these factors contact us immediately so our Car Accident Lawyer can go over your options.
- Distracted driving – Texting, Cell Phone use, and Checking emails
- Speeding – Speed is serious contributing factor common factor in car accidents that result in Death or serious injury.
- Weather Conditions – Many Drivers fail to adjust for Dangerous conditions such as snow, and rain which requires them reduce speed or leave more distance between cars.
- Driving under the influence – Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is a common cause of car accidents, especially in car accidents that occur late at night or in the early morning hours of the weekend.
- Tailgating – Following a car too closely can be very dangerous and a wreck from behind can leave the driver who was hit with neck pain and back issues.
What Kind Of Damages Can I Get From An Auto Accident Claim?
If you were injured in a Car accident, your settlement may include compensation for the following:
- Medical bills – Bills for past treatment, ongoing treatment, and anticipated medical costs for future treatments.
- Property loss – Damage to your vehicle and any other property inside of your vehicle.
- Lost wages (Present and Future Wages) – If you missed work because of your car accident injuries, you may be compensated for any lost earnings.
- Pain and suffering – Compensation for the pain and suffering you endured and may still be dealing with as a result of your injuries and damages.
- Loss of enjoyment of life – Detrimental impacts on your lifestyle and that cause you to lose the ability to enjoy or participate in activities and life pleasures.
- Punitive damages – If the defendant’s behavior was so outrageous or willful that it rose beyond the level of gross negligence.
Dealing With the Insurance Companies
The insurance company is never on your side. Don’t be fooled! Insurance companies are in sole business of making money. Meaning it benefits them to deny your claim or offer you a low-ball settlement.
When dealing with insurance companies, don’t say anything or sign anything. Our experienced auto accident attorney in Lancaster Pa stands up to the big insurance companies and gets you maximum value.
The law groups damages in two ways: 1) compensatory and 2) punitive. Compensatory damages cover financial costs and losses related to the accident. Usually, this is equal to the cost of medical bills, repair costs to damaged property, and lost wages. Compensatory damages are always part of a personal injury lawsuit.
In contrast, punitive damages serve as further punishment for the defendant and a deterrent against others who may act similarly. Punitive damages serve two purposes — to punish the defendant for terrible behavior further and to help you return your life to what it was before the injury as much as possible. The judge does not have to award punitive damages. Instead, a judge awards them at their discretion.
The Shelton Firm is centrally located in Lancaster PA. Our Auto accident Attorney in Lancaster Pa services clients throughout Central PA. Our diligent and aggresive representation is the secret ingredient that keeps our clients coming back for all their legal needs.
We represent clients in Personal Injury, Family Law, Traffic Ticket, CDL Violations and Criminal Defense Matters in the following locations:
- Adams County
- Berks County
- Chester County
- Cumberland County
- Dauphin County
- Delaware County
- Franklin County
- Lancaster County
- Lebanon County
- Montgomery County
- Perry County
- York County
- King of Prussia
- West Chester